Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Four degrees of separation

The generosity of Japanese people never ceases to amaze me. People help out in any way possible. They want to share their own part of Japan with me. I am going to miss this so much.

Last night, a classic and amazing example of this generosity occured. I went to my Tuesday English class. These people alone are so kind to me. As I entered the room, one of them came over and presented me with a box. As I opened it, the student exclaimed in excitement...

"They are bookmarks. There are 50. They are a present for your students in Australia. They come from Hokkaido!"

(I have added several words and particles here to help his English make sense!)

It turns out that he does a computer course with a particular lady. Her sister lives in Hokkaido (the most northern island in Japan - far, far from here). The sister in Hokkaido made 50 origami dolls and placed each of them into a plastic envelope. They are the most beautiful bookmarks I have ever seen. This lady made them as a going away present for me! Really amazing. I can't stop thinking about the connection from Hokkaido to my students in Australia.

Lady in Hokkaido...
Her sister in Yamaguchi...
Her sister's friend in computer class...
Me...
My students in Australia!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW - fuzzy feelings!

Anonymous said...

How about a photo! M XXX

sooz said...

Isn't it the every best thing about being somewhere else? I just love these little glimpses into the lives culture and aspirations of others. Makes me much more focused on doing the same for visitors here too. It is a very hard thing to go back and just be another ordinary person in a see of like faces and minds...yes, you will miss it! Hopefully a new bunch of little aussie munchkins will keep you grounded :-)