Sunday, July 24, 2005

Engrish

We often laugh at the use of English within Japan. Sometimes the spelling isn't quite right, sometimes it is the grammar and sometimes both of those are right but the whole meaning is wrong. Like random words strung together in a logical fashion that make no sense what so ever. It really makes me wonder about the use of other languages in Australia. We sometimes use foreign words to look 'cool' or catch your eye. In Japan it is exactly the same. English words sell. They are very popular...

Today in the supermarket I discovered a new brand of soda water. I didn't even realise you could buy soda water in Japan until today. This bottle had wonderful English across the front. Read very carefully...

I will add a few more Engrish examples to get you giggling. There is often confusion about the use of 'r' and 'l'. Both sound the same to the Japanese ear. Yesterday I saw a cute kids t-shirt that said 'let's lelax'. I almost bought it. The following picture was taken in a music store. The CD's were sorted into areas that the bands hale from...


I am still intrigued about the third item on this menu. I wonder what the actual ingredients are...

1 comment:

Rosie said...

There is a section in my English copy of the Japanese Road Rules that talks about the usage of a "wheel cramp".
Tragedy!