Sunday, August 24, 2008
What's Good For You
Spring makeover special.
At what age do we suddenly feel 'grown-up'? I don't mean turning 18 and being able to drive/drink/vote or turning 21 when everyone celebrates your coming of age. When do we feel that kind of 'mum' age? I guess that is what I am getting at.
This feeling has overwhelmed me in the past couple of years. I am not saying that I feel 'old' but I do feel changed. Go back say 4 years and (in my mind) my students would look at me as the cool, young teacher. Now I feel like they look at me as the cool teacher who could be their mum (as I am the same age as many of their parents - or older!).
I am also the heaviest that I have ever been. Only a bit heavier (not much) but it makes heaps of difference. I am constantly thinking about what I am eating. Sometimes I make the conscious effort to reduce what I eat and sometimes I just have to have one more chocolate. I joined the gym and enjoy going. The problem with joining a gym is the guilt I feel when I don't visit. I so need to go more regularly.
So, lets get back to the title of this post... I am sitting here on a Sunday night and watching the new episodes of 'What's Good For You?'. It is a spring cleaning, make-over special. I am going to get back on track even if it kills me. For a start, I need to watch less TV. Here are my current goals. They are in no specific order and I am not planning to implement all of them at once. I just think these are a few things I should improve...
1. Drink less coffee WITHOUT sugar.
2. Visit the gym at least 3 times a week including at least one fitness class.
3. Walk to school (2.5km one-way) at least 3 times a week.
4. Reduce the amount of unhealthy snacking (it sugary snacks including chocolate and ice cream).
5. Eat more nuts as a snack.
6. Eat more fish (Why don't I? I love it!)
7. Drink more water.
8. Attend to personal grooming more often (ie waxing - ouch)
9. Eat more salads and fresh veggies.
10. Eat less pasta (not cut it out but reduce serving size)
Anyone else out there got any more hints or suggestions. Key weight loss ideas. Motivational statements... I think that is something I really need - MOTIVATION!