Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Ahhhh Kyoto!

A non traditional shot at Kiyomizu Temple. Most people show the huge building on stilts but I love this shot. Thought I would share it.
Classic Momiji... It only takes one leaf to make me go ahhhhhhhh
A monk outside Kiyomizu Temple. They stand for hours waiting for passes by to drop a coin into their bowls... I was a sneak and took lots of shots from behind - then I gave him 100 yen.
Ahhhhhhhhhh
Shichi-Go-San. My favourite festival. Carried out throughout November. Girls aged 3 and 7 dress in full kimono as do boys aged 3 and 5. They all look amazing. Parents are so proud when I tell them that their child looks cute. This girl is wearing a non traditional purple kimono. Very stern looking.
Arashiyama. This area is famous during autumn and spring. You can get some very magical shots of the hillside covered in reds. It was really hazy on Sunday but I like the above shot. I like the orange and blue...
Maybe the most famous spot for momiji. Tofukuji... There is a long winding walkway before you reach the temple. This was thronging with people. You have to pass through a covered bridge (the above shot). It was like being in a sardine can. I love how the above shot, shows three kinds of cameras. When I finally reached the entrance, I turned around again and left - the line was longer than any I had seen at Disneyland!
Stunning Maiko San. I saw lots and lots of (fake) Maiko. Maiko are Geisha in training. Many regular girls spend the day with friends getting the above make over. Lots of fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok watermellen, by telling you that you are becoming one fine photographer!, i hope i will butter you up enough for you to send me some of those beautiful leaves somehow... These pics are my faves so far. Beautiful.
Love and misses you,
April.
xxx

Lauren said...

Gorgeous!

Paul Campy said...

Fantastic photos. I loved Kyoto: you've captured it well.

Paul Campy said...

If you're into podcasts here's a Kyoto one I've recently subscribed to: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=74172850&s=143444

and a video version http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=83037456&s=143444